EMMA STRENSKI: My grandfather, Ed DeLaney was an attorney during the Brcko Arbitration as a part of the Dayton Accords.


Redactor: Belma Skopljakovic

1. Hi Emma! Could you please, introduce yourself for Bellspiration readers?

My name is Emma Strenski and I am a Fulbright U.S. Student Researcher affiliated with the University of Sarajevo Faculty of Political Science. I am from Indianapolis, Indiana in the Midwest of the United States. I attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison for college, I studied International Studies, History, and Spanish, and I just graduated in May of this year.


2. You are going to live in Bosnia and Herzegovina for one year. What are you planning to do here?

I will be in Sarajevo for the 2018-2019 Academic Year, from October 2018 to July 2019. In my year here, I am researching the American involvement in and implementation of the Dayton Peace Accords. I am specifically analyzing how this solution is unique within a history of foreign/international intervention in Bosnia. I am putting special focus around the Brcko Arbitration as a case study of the effectiveness of the Dayton Accords. For my research, I am spending time at the Faculty of Political Science and reading through their books, and other sources. I am also utilizing national and private museums and libraries here in Sarajevo. I have already spent time at the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the History of Sarajevo Museum, the 1878-1914 Museum, and the Gazi Husrev-Begova Library in Baščaršija. I have already been able to put my hands on a lot of original documents that I would not have access to in America, and as a researcher, that makes me really excited.


3. Could you tell us more about your research and why are you interested in that topic?

I got interested in this topic specifically because my grandfather, Ed DeLaney was an attorney during the Brcko Arbitration as a part of the Dayton Accords. He represented the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina against the Republika Srpska during this arbitration and it is through him I learned about this topic and about this part of the world. I grew up hearing stories of this arbitration and it has always intrigued me; however, I was not always aware that there was a possibility that I would be able to continue his legacy in Bosnia. I am honored to be able to historicize a moment in which my grandfather played a major role because it will preserve his legacy and is a symbol of passing the project from one generation to another. I have always been struck at the general lack of knowledge and education about the Balkans in American secondary and high schools. Americans today generally know what Yugoslavia was; a country which broke-up in the 1990’s. However, very few people know of the Dayton Peace Accords and far fewer the Brcko Arbitration. This is a unique American intervention into peacebuilding and nation building, very much in living memory and part of my interest in doing this project is to educate Americans on this intervention and bring this solution into more conversations and discussions around the country.



4. Do you like Sarajevo and your first impressions of people here?

My first impressions of Sarajevo can be summed up into four facts. First, the city itself is absolutely beautiful; situated in a valley, surrounded by mountains, the views are breathtaking. Second, the people here are genuinely kind; many people have gone out of their way to make me feel at home, something that most certainly would not have been done in the U.S. The people here are also very personal, they like to meet up and walk around, arm in arm, around the city. I love that about
Sarajevo. Third, the food is to die for. A mix of Mediterranean, Turkish, and Middle Eastern influences makes for quite the diversity of cuisine. The restaurants are cheap, and delicious, and grocery shopping is a little different than at home. Lastly, I have been stuck by the utter lack of sidewalks… unless you are walking on a busy street, you will be walking in the street because the sidewalk either doesn’t exist or is not big enough for more than one person. That is definitely different then at home, but I am getting used to it.

5. What are benefits of moving abroad? Difficulties? Some messages for young people?

There are many benefits and difficulties that come with moving abroad.
It is always exciting to try something new, and there is something to be said of the adventures you have in exploring a new part of the world. The language barrier for me has been difficult, as well as adjusting to the generally more laidback style of life here. Culture shock is a very real thing, but I am working with Belma to improve my Bosnian and have already made many new friends here. I highly suggest going abroad for at least a short period of time in your life because the benefits can have a positive impact on your life for decades to come. It gives you a chance to hear opinions from other people and opens you eyes to other interpretations of your own country that can change how you think about your situation in the world. It is really an eye opening and impactful experience.



6. Thank you for the interview :) 

If you are interested, please follow my travel blog, which documents all of my adventures in Sarajevo! http://emmasfulbrightadventures.com




Primjedbe