HEATHER SHEMERY:I don't think I can express enough how much your perspective on things can change if you're just willing to listen!

Redactor:Belma Skopljakovic

Tell us something about yourself
My name is Heather and I am 21. I'm a college student in America and I graduate in May. I love traveling and getting to have lots of cool experiences! 

You spent three months here in Bosnia & Herzegovina as a student. Tell me about that! 
Oh, it was the opportunity of a lifetime! I got to meet so many amazing people and learn so much about culture and the way people view life, other people, and God. I could write so many things about how life changing the experience was for me. I led comversational English classes, cooking classes, and anything else that I could do. I also took Bosnian lessons and I gained a new appreciation for people who speak more than one language!

 What attracted you to this beautiful country, Bosnia and Herzegovina?
Bosnia & Herzegovina is definitely a beautiful country that's not like any other I have seen! I spent over a year being so excited about the opportunity to spend three months in BiH. The history of the country is so rich and the country itself is absolutely beautiful, I just couldn't help being drawn to it!


What experience do you have working with people from backgrounds different than your own?
Of course, working at Izvor was one area where I was able to connect with different kinds of people. Back in America, I spent two years leading a committee focused on community outreach. This means that I spent a lot of time networking and interacting with people who live differently from me. Overall, I try to spend time really getting to know people and learning about how different we may be. It's so good to keep an open mind and really listen to people. I don't think I can express enough how much your perspective on things can change if you're just willing to listen.

Do you prefer to work independently or with others?
When it comes to some things, I can be independent and really want to just get the task done. However, as I'm getting older and meeting more people, I'm learning that I really, genuinely care about people. Caring about people makes it so much easier to work alongside others. Everyone has a story and everyone has some kind of battle they're fighting.

Your plans for the future?
I am not really sure what is in store for me in the future. I'm praying about it and I am trying to be patient and 
figure it out. I have applied for Master's programs in Nutrition and Global Health. Right now, the plan is to 
graduate with in May and go onto graduate school. I haven't really decided what happens after that. Definitely, I want to spend more time travelling and experiencing new places and meeting new people.

What is one accomplishment that you are particularly proud of?
Oh wow, I don't know what that would be. I've been able to do a lot of things and accomplish things academically, socially, and personally. I try to work hard at everything and I think God has really been good to me. One thing that comes to mind is that I worked really hard in the community outreach job I did at school and I built a lot of really cool partnerships with the school. However, I didn't do it alone. I had an awesome committee and people who stood by me. I think this is a common theme- we can't live life alone and our lives are so much fuller when we interact with different kinds of people.

Three things you will never forget about living in Sarajevo!
1. I always tell my friends in America that I loved just sitting and sipping coffee for hours with my Bosnian friends.
2. I loved the laughs and the deep conversations and how I was able to meet people who are different from me but we still can relate to each other.
3. The history of BiH and the richness of the culture. I definitely took a piece of Sarajevo with me in my heart.
Bosnian classes with Belma <3 

Primjedbe