BELLSPIRATION CLUB - Tania Gonzalez: I believe emotions in pictures are essential! (Part 3/4)

1) Dear Tania, you are a photographer! When it all started? 

You know how they say, “Hindsight is 20/20”? Well, that is definitely how I feel when I look back at the beginning of my photography journey. Why? Because my photography journey started because of Bosnia! It’s so clear to me now that the path I was taking about 8 years ago would lead me to my biggest passions in life. So let me explain, I had just said yes to doing my first cultural exchange trip to Bosnia and Hercegovina and I needed to start raising funds to get all my expenses covered. One of my cousins was in need of a wedding photographer so I connected her to one but she didn’t like his work. I shared the situation with one of my leaders for the cultural exchange trip and she shared that she’d been wanting to start photography for a while and would definitely love to give it a try with my cousin. Her plan was to offer to take my cousin's engagement pictures and if she liked how the photos came out then she would capture her wedding day. The only condition was for me to take pictures with her as well and that any funds my cousin gave would go straight to my trip to Bosnia. I was in total shock. One, because I didn’t have a camera and had no experience with capturing a wedding. Two, because all the funds would go straight to my trip. My cousin said yes and ended up hiring us for her wedding day. Capturing her wedding was fun and scary but my friend started giving me some basic 101 photography advice before the big day. I kid you not, I thought my pictures were amazing! Looking back at them now, I cannot recognize my work. I love looking back to where it all started because it just shows that practice and perseverance do make us better.

2) I do not have a sense for details, so would you explain to us what happens inside of you so that you want to take a photo that will be a perfect photoshoot? Is it some sort of magic to catch the moment of life? Where do you find inspiration for your photos?

Sometimes what looks like an imperfect scenario can actually be perfect. I’ve been capturing weddings and portraits for about 8 years and capturing people has been a completely different experience than capturing landscapes or objects. So I’ll explain a little more about what takes place in my head when I capture people. I truly believe a picture can tell a story and that is what I try to do. So I try to answer the questions,  “Who is the story about?” and “What’s the situation in every picture I take?”

            My style of photography leans more towards storytelling, it’s kinda like candids. I rarely try to get the face to look straight at the camera. My goal is for the person to be more in the moment of whatever is going on and boom! I capture the picture. I like my subject of the photo to be in the moment rather than being in the “perfect” pose because that’s how I get to capture an emotion. Personally, I believe emotions in pictures are essential. I want people to feel or relate to the photo in order to see or connect with the story I’m trying to tell. Models are great at posing and portraying an emotion but most of my clients are regular people that are camera shy and do not know what to do with their bodies. So my job as a photographer is to first create a safe and comfortable space for my subject to let go of all the insecure walls and just be themself. And second is for me to slowly disappear in their world and capture the story.

          Sorry if I lost you a little there. I am just realizing a lot goes in my mind as I try to capture a picture. But capturing landscapes and objects is completely different. It’s more about directing your hand to be at the right angle rather than directing the object or the beautiful sunset. Rule of thirds is always the safest way to go and there are many examples online. But no matter what the scenario is that I’m trying to capture, my goal is to tell a story or connect people through emotion.

3) Follow Tania:

IG: @tania.gee @half_orange_ @vivredamour_weddings




Primjedbe