Xhorxhina Molla, Albania/Italy: I’m passionate about the Balkan region, its history, culture, and different traditions!

1. Hi Xhorxhina, how are you? I would kindly ask you to introduce yourself to the Bellspiration readers?

Hi everybody! First of all, thank you, Belma for inviting me to your inspiring blog. I must say that you are doing a great job! As for myself, I’m Xhorxhina Molla, I was born in a poor village in Albania but my family and I moved to Italy when I was only two years old to seek better economic conditions. I am a 24-years-old MA student of International Relations for Eastern Europe (MIREES) at the University of Bologna, Italy, currently doing my Erasmus exchange in Zagreb, Croatia. I am a board member at FOMOSO, an independent and non-profit organization that promotes opinion-forming about Central-Eastern and Southeastern Europe. I am also a writing contributor at the online journal Lossi 36, where I mainly provide analysis of the Balkan region. I love studying and learning new languages and other cultures, as I think one is the reflection of the other. So far, I can speak Albanian, Italian, English, and some French. Also, recently I’ve been studying Croatian and Russian at my university. What else? I’m a curious person, sometimes an introvert, but quite determined when I know what I want. 



2. You are living in Italy, right? Could you tell us more about life in Italy in general, people, lifestyle… Can you compare it to the Balkans, similarities or differences?

I live in the north of Italy, in a small city not far from Venice, where I have spent many years of my life, and I have my closest friends. Compared to the Balkans, specifically to Albania, I perceived them as two completely different worlds, mainly because of my personal experience. Albania means family gatherings, lots of cousins, hot summers, Mediterranean food, and long queues at the border! I can't speak on behalf of Albanians there as I’ve usually visited my motherland during summer or while visiting around. It’s a beautiful country, with sociable people, always willing to help you if they see you lost or wandering alone (yep, it happened to me twice). Albania has changed a lot since I was little, it’s always developing and “under construction”. As an Albanian immigrant who grew up in Italy, I’ve always found it difficult to answer the question of whether I felt more Albanian or more Italian. Now, I have embraced the fact that I feel as I’m something between the two, influenced by both cultures, which I consider a privilege that gives me a peculiar perspective. I hope in the future to be able to contribute to the development and democratization of Albania. Both countries will always have a special place in my heart since they contribute to make me the person I am today. 


3. You are currently in Zagreb, Croatia. Would you share with us why you are there and have you adapted to the new environment? Can you speak some Croatian?

I have been living in Zagreb since last September. Initially, I planned to study here only for one semester, but then I decided to prolong my stay. Croatia is a beautiful country, in particular, there are several marvelous natural and historical hotspots to see. Studying at the faculty of Political Science in Zagreb has been a significant opportunity, limited unfortunately by the pandemic, but it was enjoyable anyway! It was my first time living abroad by myself, where I had the chance to meet amazing people from all over the world. My main goal is to master the Croatian language. So far, I have gained the B1 certification, I am willing to improve in the upcoming months! I decided to do my Erasmus exchange here because I’m passionate about the Balkan region, its history, culture, and different traditions. Also, I’m willing to do some historical academic research in the region and, since I already speak Albanian, the Croatian language was the right opportunity to have access to the other official archives of the area. Also, I love the fact that I can eat burek whenever I want. 



4. What motivates you in life? What inspires you the most? 

Life in the past months has not been easy, but I am convinced that we all have our path to discover. Sooner or later, we will figure it out. I’ve always been pretty insecure about myself, but recently I’ve tried to push myself out of my comfort zone. I always remind myself that regret is worse than failure since even if you lose, you can at least learn something from that. To be honest, I still have to find my purpose in life, but I’m passionate about my studies and I’m grateful for the experience that I’ve had so far. Hence, at the moment, I am enjoying the trip, accepting new challenges, and aiming at a better version of myself.

5. Do you have an inspiring message for all young people all around the world?

Never let your insecurities stop you from living your best life. Be eager, never be afraid to ask, and be the first fan of yourself! Whatever you’ve experienced, either good or bad, contributed to make you the person you are today. Be proud of yourself! 

6. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this Bellspiration interview! Good luck and see you soon :) 

Thank you for having me! :)

7. Follow Xhorxhina:


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gelsomino.ezerequi.9

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gelsomino_ezere_qui_/

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/xhorxhina-molla96/







Primjedbe