Manuel Lavoriero, Italy: I love being on stage! It gives me energy, an electrical feeling – a feeling of being alive!

1. Hi Manuel, how are you? I would kindly ask you to introduce yourself to the Bellspiration readers?

Hello everyone! I am doing great, thanks! Thank you for the opportunity to express my ideas here! My name is Manuel Lavoriero. I am from a town called Bolzano in the mountain region of South Tyrol in Northern Italy. I speak German, Italian, English and a little bit of French. I studied Journalism and Media Management in Vienna, earning a BA in 2019. I worked as a journalist/intern for various newspapers and TV channels in both Austria and Italy. I am currently an MA student in Journalism and Communication Science at the University of Vienna. I love to play the piano. I play different genres, but mainly classical and modern. I also like to compose music. In addition, I write slam poetry pieces for the stage. Sadly, due to corona, there have not been any shows lately, but as soon as the situation improves, I hope to be on stage again!

2. You are a slam poet! When did you start with that? Tell us more about your passion for it!

Quick reminder: poetry slam is a form of literature competition. You have a limited time frame, the freedom to perform any genre, but without using any accessories. The performance will be judged by an audience jury. 

Regarding my first attempts at poetry slam: I really liked literature from a young age. As a child, I used to write stories about a small rabbit who travels the world with a lazy koala. My classmates liked these stories and I used to read them in front of the class. Later, I discovered music and I started to write poetry in combination with music. These were my first attempts at writing poetry. One day in High School, my German teacher told us to write a slam poem in class and I did. She then advised me to participate in the school championship of poetry slam and I did. I did not win the championships but I fell in love with the format. I continued writing and performing until I won the South Tyrolean Championships in 2016 and 2017. This lead to numerous performances in Italy, Austria, and Germany. It was a great time. And I met so many amazing people! I learned so much and I am so grateful for this experience. I love being on stage. It gives me energy, an electrical feeling – a feeling of being alive. In order to be successful with my performances, I work really hard, focusing on every aspect: the written poem, the timing, the pronunciation, the hand movements – everything. I like to feel the audience when I am performing, their reactions, their looks. Although the audience is one of the main reasons I enjoy this activity, I also write because I feel there is a necessity to write. It is a deeply human act.

3. You studied piano at a Conservatory in Bolzano, right? Would you share with Bellspiration readers when did you start with that part of your life? Would you give us some insights of Manuel as a pianist?

I started playing the piano when I was 11. First, I took private lessons, then I moved to the Music School, then to a Music High School, and finally to the Conservatory. Similar to poetry slam, playing the piano means a lot of preparation and work. Music is a unique language that needs to be learned. But once you’re fluent in it, the reward is incredible. It hasn’t always been easy. It has been difficult from time to time. But I kept playing, reminding myself of how magical the power of music is. When I am playing, I forget everything, and everything around me suddenly disappears. It’s like being in a different realm. On the one hand, music is an incredibly emotional activity, it can express our deepest feelings, feelings that no words can ever describe. For me, this has always been clear with romantic pieces e.g. by Sergei Rachmaninoff or Frédéric Chopin. On the other hand, there is a truly logical aspect to music, almost mathematical. This becomes clear when we look at the harmonic structures, at the counterpoint, and at music theory. Johann Sebastian Bach is the main example of sheer perfection in music. Finally, making music is a deeply human act too. 

4. You also wrote a few soundtracks for some movies? Is it hard to do that? Where do you find inspiration for your music?

Indeed, I wrote the soundtrack for several short films and commercials. This is why I have my own profile in the Internet Movie Database. I am truly thankful to the directors who chose me to write the soundtrack for their movies. I wouldn’t say that it is easy to compose music, but it’s not impossible either. You need to consider a lot of things though. 

Firstly, you need to be able to play a midi-instrument such as a midi-keyboard. Nowadays, almost all film composers work with digital audio workstations. Therefore, you need to know how to use an application such as Cubase or Logic Pro and every technical aspect that is connected to it. Of course, you need to have some basic knowledge of music and music theory. 

Secondly, music in films needs to be able to tell a story for itself. Sometimes, it is said that the soundtrack is like an additional actor. It lurks in the background telling the emotional story of the film. Additionally, you need to know when and how to play music in certain scenes, but you also need to know when you need to pause the music. And finally, you need to be totally passionate about storytelling and films. Trying to create art without enjoying the art form is like trying to swim in an empty pool. 

When I write music I totally believe that audiences need to immerse themselves in music. But a good film composer knows how to keep a low level sometimes, creating an atmosphere without standing in the spotlight. 

I draw a lot of inspiration from great film composers such as John Williams, Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Ennio Morricone, and many, many more. But in the end, it’s always about finding an own voice and a voice that fits the film itself. I like to experiment with classical and electronic instruments as well as harmonic and dissonant sounds. I prefer using the application Logic Pro for my works, where I have a lot of different instruments. For a music enthusiast, this is heaven. You can try to mix all different sounds. Sometimes, I spent hours just trying out new instruments. Usually, I begin with a melody or a piano base and I add new layers and/or harmonic bases by other instruments such as woodwinds or strings. Sometimes, it is mainly improvised. Other times, I know exactly how the structure has to be or maybe the director gives me a clear idea of how he wants the music to sound. For the most part, you work on your own, but it is also important to be collaborative and to be able to work with the director or other crew members. 

5. What motivates you in life? What inspires you the most?

It comes down to being happy. It’s what my parents always tell me. I believe that it is important to live a life with as much happiness as possible. And happiness also means finding fulfillment in activities, beliefs, achievements, and in relationships with other people. For me, music and literature have been a major driving force of happiness, but also meeting other people and traveling. I participated in countless events all over Europe and this gave me immense joy.

6. Do you have an inspiring message for all young people all around the world?

There is a quote from Ratatouille, one of my favorite Pixar-films, I want to share: 

Anton Ego: In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.

No matter who you are or where you come from – you can become a great artist. And if not, it does not mean you are not able to cook. Everyone can find fulfillment and happiness. The movie quote is by a character called Anton Ego, a culinary critic. He also talks about the importance of defending “the new” and I truly agree with that. In art, new creations need someone who advocates for them. On the other hand, older creations need their fans too. They’re both important and I believe that this can be applied to many other aspects of life. Be creative, be bold, and most of all, be curious! We live in such a beautiful and vast world, try to explore it as much as you can!

7. Follow Manuel:


Primjedbe