BELLSPIRATION presents: 3rd Day of the 18th IYC - Digital events in pandemic

 



We asked the Conference's participants to share their thoughts on the following question: 

What do you think about digital events in this pandemic time (such as this conference, zoom parties, etc.), and do you miss offline events?

Here's what they said about it:

Nicolò Passaro, Italy: Digital events have good and not so good challenge we'll have to pay attention in the next future: of course, the great opportunity to connect people inability to take part face to face in very high-expensive events and to establish an online course for less fortunate people; on the other hand, the risk is underestimated the importance of human contact and to banalize too much our problems in two hours meeting. Also, my worrying is a future abusing of these to avoid scholarship and fellowship for face to face meeting and being too "tokeinst" with people that would take advantage of travels and a direct knowledge of other's people reality. It's needed a well-balanced using for the next future, contextualizing them.

Mary Drosopulos, Greece: It is great that we now have more access to courses and experts that used to be reserved only for a few. At the same time, we all know that a great part of networking was taking place during coffee breaks and free afternoons. Traveling to attend physically an event also meant experiencing a new space, a new city, a new country, getting, thus, the first taste of another culture. This experience is priceless and it is certainly one of the things I miss the most.

Valentina Beg Deljanin, Croatia: I am definitely a pro-offline person, but I do acknowledge and certainly enjoy the perks of the digital era. Online events in some way give me more freedom in choosing where and how to participate since I don't have to take days off to attend them. Moreover, sometimes I am extra concentrated and dedicated during online sessions, but on the other days, I tend to be distracted with other everyday tasks in my physical surroundings which keep popping up. However, I am glad to have these opportunities mostly because it means that the world doesn't stand still although we may be paused in some other ways due to the ongoing crisis, and that gives us all the feeling of being far from powerless.
However, my biggest pro-offline reasons are undoubtedly traveling and meeting up in person, the aroma of fresh coffee in the lobbies, basic catering food, and a spectacular murmur of fruitful insights during breaks.
So, I look forward to the comeback of traditional conference forms in the future, but I also hope these online ones will parallelly retain their place and keep bringing us closer no matter what.
P.S. Amazing and kind of comforting thing with digital events surely is all these comfy clothes I can wear during it.


Eva Završnik, Slovenia: Many are very active in our fields of interest and participate in different events like conferences, seminars, and round tables all the time. Unfortunately, in these times, all of this has - to some degree of success – shifted to online spaces. Although these times affected by lockdown and social distancing have been difficult, I can also see the benefits of it. I have been able to attend many interesting debates, conferences, and events in general that were held on online platforms. I would not be able to attend all of these if they were happening “in real life”. However, I miss the opportunity to form social connections and even friendships in these events. In my opinion, no online event will ever replace the feeling of connection that can be established in our so-called real life, outside of our phones and computers.

Xhorxhina Molla, Albania: In my opinion, digital events allow everyone, no matter where they live or work, to participate. For instance, I wouldn't have had the possibility to join if it was in presence, in particular, since I'm still doing my exams in presence at the university. Also, I think that everyone can participate in the discussion as much as in offline events. However, what I miss the most about offline events is getting to know new people and visiting new places/cities.

Mihail Divjakoski, North Macedonia: In my opinion, digital events have also lots of pros, and advantages, for example, the fact that we are not in Krushevo right now, means that we didn't take buses, cars and other means of transportation so we spared the planet from some pollution.
Another thing is that in these kinds of events, or at least in many of the Erasmus exchanges, too much paper, and plastic is wasted in order to fulfill the planned activities.
On the other hand, we miss the social part, we miss meeting in person, and of course when you do it in person there is a much bigger and better impression, and the connection between the people is special, so I think that it cannot be replaced online.
I think everyone misses offline events, but we have to adjust to this new normal and adjust to all the changes and hold on to it until this whole situation is over.

Enxhi Hoxha, Albania: Personally, I think that conferences, internships and so are very important for everyone but at the same time I think that is much better than those kinds of information should take offline. I miss so many offline meetings.

Morgan Janowicz, Poland: I am an IT student, and therefore I am looking forward to spreading events online. I am positively surprised by the possibilities that such events can offer us. The most significant advantage of the new form of participation is time-saving. I don't have to travel to places that are often hundreds of kilometers away from my home. I can sit comfortably in a chair in my room, sipping coffee from my favorite mug, and engaging in a conversation with the international community.
Of course, I miss the physicality of contacts that allow me to create stronger interpersonal bonds, but I try to get only positive at the moment. The changes that have taken place in our lives over the past few months have forced us to introduce modifications without which it would be even more difficult.


Cata Filip, Romania: To my mind, digital events in this pandemic time represent a challenge, but also an opportunity for our personal and professional development. On one hand, digital events are mostly the only secure way for being in touch with the knowledge in terms of courses, workshops, webinars, and so on.    Thus, people have to keep their attention and engagement in order to learn about different topics. Social networking had to be switched with the online one that after some time has the tendency to be annoying and exhausting.
On the other hand, digital events allow us to be part of all meetings or courses that we want from all over the world. Specifically, the places' barriers haven't imposed any limits to study or to be engaged in different activities. Definitely, offline events used to be part of our everyday lives and now we are obliged to cope with the new online environment.
To sum up, the pandemic situation imposes a new order that we have to adapt to it trying to keep our welfare and healthy mind.

Joana Freitas, Portugal: I think nothing can replace one-on-one and group interaction, especially as a teacher, the small exchanges on the halls after a session, sharing ideas with that person that made a comment about an interesting project, being able to encourage and support each other (with language difficulties or shyness), and networking, both formal and informal. You can create social media groups, Zoom hangouts, presentation and contact-making dynamics, but personal moments, traveling, getting to know a new country have a very different effect and are surely more fun and exciting. I miss that!
However, I see a fee advantage in digital:
- Smaller carbon footprint of events (no flights, no hotel rooms, digital materials, no disposable products on coffee breaks);
- Extending participation to a wider audience (from remote regions who wouldn't be able to afford to travel, young people with a job or who are on exam periods that prevent them from going abroad for the duration of the conference, people with physical disabilities that couldn't access the venue, etc);
- Including guests and speakers from all geographies and that wouldn't have the time to travel if the
 conference was in person;
- Easier for inexperienced and shy people to participate (they can do it in writing, they don't need to face a room full of people when speaking, there's no pressure to wear formal clothes, etc);
- Extra: everyone always has their names under so it's easy to identify guests and participants and look for them on LinkedIn! :')
Of course, you risk excluding people with digital illiteracy or who lack technical devices/internet or space where to set their things for the Zoom sessions. But you can try to fight this by, like in this conference, having local hubs where people can go to if they don't have the necessary conditions. So I hope the future brings us back together in person but also takes all of the advantages into consideration!

Luka Radičević, Serbia: I really miss offline events. As much as technology has developed in the means of connecting people online, nothing can replace human contact as such. However, the pandemic has made offline events very hard to organize, especially international ones, such as this conference. Having that in mind, there simply is no better way to socialize and participate in events than via online video conference tools. I have seen quite a few innovations in terms of online expo platforms etc., but as far as I know, these are still financially unavailable for many individuals, non-profits, and even some middle-sized companies. All in all, I am a strong supporter of online gatherings and events. If this year's events have taught us anything - it is that everything is uncertain and can change in a glimpse. Hence, there is no point in waiting for the pandemic to be over. Let's make the best of it!

Tirana HUB

Marinela Dervishi, Albania: I miss live events a lot! I am thankful though for the technology, that gives us the opportunity to still connect with each other and make this kind of event possible. We can still work internationally, we can still access new knowledge and experiences, share know-how and network, and all of this thanks to the technology! Even though it lucks human interaction, we can still benefit a lot from digital events. Technology is an effective means to overcome pandemic challenges.



Kostian Jano, Albania: For the time being the continuation of activities in the traditional format is clearly impossible. Online events despite the huge limitations still remain the best solution to guarantee continuity of projects and to offer safety for participants. I believe that most of us miss going back to the offline way of doing events but until we have a solution to this pandemic we need to get used to using zoom and other platforms for still some time.




Antoneta Gegaj, Montenegro: This pandemic was something new for all of us, but I think that we as humans can adapt to anything, as we did to the "online" life that we are living now. Of course, the experience of online conferences, classes and different events, can't be the same as the "offline" events, because human interaction is important but thanks to today's technology, the online events are manageable in this stressful situation for all of us, and still, give us some kind of socialization. I think that the moment the world finds a solution for this pandemic, we will be able to go back to the offline conferences and other different social events and we will appreciate them even more! 


Rudina Çep, Albania: Because of the current pandemic situation we were obligated to transfer a lot of our activities in online sessions. In my opinion and experience, it's a great way to continue doing the activities although it's not the same with direct physical communication according to emotions.

Mikena Hoxha, Albania: This "offline "situation it's very difficult for me, I miss  being with other people physically  and sharing an experience that creates a connection. Especially in university when our presence it's more viable for teachers and we have better results in studying.




3rd Day of the International Youth Conference included the following sessions and their speakers:

SESSION V



SESSION VI





Primjedbe

  1. Greetings....

    Check out these Credit Cards today.
    My name is Mitch Vanessa from Merseyside. A successful business owner and father. I got one of these already programmed Credit cards that allows me to withdraw a maximum of £7,500 daily for 30 days. I am so happy about these cards because I received mine last week and have already used it to get £45,000. Mr Frank Carlos of Email: atmgeniuslinks@gmail.com  is giving out these cards to support people in any kind of financial problem. I must be sincere to you, when i saw the advert, I believed it to be illegal and a hoax but when I contacted Mr Frank Carlos, he confirmed to me that although it is illegal, nobody gets caught while using these cards because they have been programmed to disable every communication once inserted into any Automated Teller Machine(ATM). If interested contact him as soon as possible Email: atmgeniuslinks@gmail.com / ICQ: https://icq.im/Anouymous_CC

    Telegram: @Anonymous_Ccs / WhatsApp: +1-713-389-6778.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

Objavi komentar

Feel free to share your opinion on the article above - we love your comments :)