MORGAN JANOWICZ: I fight for respect for every human being on our planet!

 


1. Hi dear Morgan! Would you, please, introduce yourself  to the Bellspiration readers?

With pleasure! My name is Morgan, I'm 23 years old, and I come from Poland. I am currently studying Computer Science at Collegium Da Vinci in Poznań, Poland, and International Business at the University of Applied Science in Turku, Finland. I am very interested in Business and programming, but my greatest passion are human rights. I am a committed activist, and I fight for respect for every human being on our planet. I am convinced that we are all equal, which is why I am against any discrimination. I'm involved in LGBTQ+ activities in Poland and the world. I am also an environmental activist, and I work on the creation of intercultural dialogue. I'm a member of the political party, The Greens. At the moment, I am working with Ms. Dr. Sylwia Spurek, MEP, on her latest campaign, "Trzymam stronę kobiet", which aims to draw attention to the problem of violence against women in Poland. Recently I joined the United Nations Association and got involved in a project where I will interview politicians and global leaders.

2. You are an activist for human rights. Could you tell us more about your involvement and activism – where have you participated, and how important it is to be an activist in our society?

I come from a country where, unfortunately, people are still segregated into better and worse. In Poland, we love to overuse the words "normal" and "abnormal".  I must admit that I wasn't always as open-minded as I am now. As a kid, I heard homophobic and racist jokes daily. I was unaware that this was very limiting and harmful behavior. Thanks to the amazing people I met on my way, I was able to open up to diversity. I am very proud of it! My activism started with little things. I started helping people in my area, signing up for volunteer work organized by my school, and going to meet people who were very different from what I knew. The most significant moment was to start a dialogue with people whom I was afraid of or disliked due to the prevailing stereotypes. It quickly turned out that the stereotypes were very limiting. I have decided to separate myself from other people's opinions and create my own. It took a while, but I am very happy with the results of my work.

Poland is a very homogeneous country. We are just beginning to open up to otherness. I see a lot of young people who are very open to same-sex relationships, people of different faiths, nationalities, and cultures, and this is what gives me hope for a better tomorrow.

As an activist, I take part in various actions. Recently, I have spent a lot of energy on women's protests against the cruel verdict of the Constitutional Court in Poland, which wants to limit the freedom and choice of citizens. Feminism is important to me because of the discrimination I experienced as a woman. Feminism, however, is not only about protests. It is also making friends and family aware that discrimination is present in everyday life. I often discuss with my friends that even a silly joke can be very harmful to the other person. I think that allowing people to be empathic and vulnerable should be the goal of all of us. I also take an active part in campaigns and actions for sexual minorities. Doing interviews or sharing your views and opinions is part of my life. For example, recently, I was part of a film show on the LGBTQ + situation in my hometown of Poznań. This event made me realize how much we still have to work as a community.

3. Tell us more about Poland and the people there, from the first hand.

Poland is a country that has suffered a lot in the past. Most people associate my country with wars, communism, and fascism. We are now known to fail to respect fundamental human rights. This is sad, but unfortunately, the government's actions have enormous support among Poles, especially Poles who are more traditional and attached to culture. My friends with whom I have closer contacts are open, selfless, empathetic, motivated to change for the better and to work in solidarity. The Poles whom I love and respect will not turn their backs on a needy person. They will always help with a smile on their face. They are also interested in what is happening in our country. They understand that without equality, we will never reach our full potential. We want to build a new, open Poland and leave behind all the wrongs that someone has done to us.

4. What motivates you in life? What inspires you the most?

People inspire me. The solidarity and love that I receive from complete strangers are very uplifting to me. I love talking to people who share their experiences because it makes me understand the current situation more. For me, the greatest reward for my actions is the satisfaction that at least one person will experience less injustice in this world.

5. Do you have an inspiring message for all young people in our region, but also around the
world?

I get a lot of messages from people who comment on me in a very inappropriate way. They cannot express their opinion in a universally acceptable manner. But I've learned not to take it that personally and accept the fact that not everyone has to like me. I think this is a very important message to people, especially young people. You don't have to be liked by everyone to change the world for the better. Do your thing.

6. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this Bellspiration interview! Good luck, Morgan!

Thank you, it was a pleasure. I keep my fingers crossed for all of you.



Primjedbe