BELLSPIRATION CLUB - MIHAIL DIVJAKOSKI: I will never lose the part of who I am and where I come from (Part 3/4)


1) What do you think of how we, youth, can improve the situation in Balkan countries regarding historical issues?

My experience so far shows that youth do not care or define or judge other young people from the Balkans based on the historical issues that those both countries face, or the Balkans as a whole. When we think of how, that would definitely be by increasing cooperation between Balkan countries, promoting each other’s good sides and taking good examples.

The rest of the countries in the world don’t seem to have problems with how politics and history define them, they just live in the present, and do what they think is best at the given moment. For example, Switzerland has four official languages, and that didn’t stop her to be one of the most secure and rich countries. Finland has two official languages, half of the country speaks Finnish, the other half speaks Swedish, and yet, Finland is known for many positive examples, like having one of the best educational systems worldwide.

We just need to learn how to live with what we are, who we are, and work more on the acceptance of others. No one denies the fact that there have been wars, territorial issues, historical issues, cultural appropriation, hatred, division, and god knows what else between the Balkans, and all of that started with the fall of Yugoslavia. Like, how did people learn to live together, accept together, and work as one country during the Yugoslavian era, and why is that impossible now?

It’s not impossible, in fact, it’s very much possible, we just need to learn to accept, grow some temper, and take the best of what is given. Yes, Macedonia had issues with Greece and Bulgaria, Serbia with Kosovo and Croatia but is that all that we are? Problematic countries and people?

We all know that the answer to this question is a very big no, instead, we are countries with similar cultures, we share history where our parents and grandparents lived as one, in one country and community, similar food, we all like rakija, we all like ajvar, and when you do the list, there are much more things in the similarities section, than the differences section, we just need to explore them further and overcome those issues.

See, we do this interview because I and Belma met in one of the opportunities in which there were more Balkan countries, and not for a single moment did we let it define and divide us. One such example is the International Youth Conference that is organized by Youth Alliance- Krushevo, and I am very much sure that there are many more such opportunities that allow us to meet people from the Balkans and become friends instead. 


2) You traveled a lot, but would you have your permanent residence in the Balkans and build your own family and life or would you rather move somewhere forever?

This is a tricky question haha. Depends on many many factors.

I like the Balkans because we have much more freedom here, like, it’s in our blood to be more connected and warm and welcoming with other people, to laugh a lot, to have lots of parties, family gatherings, to have slava, big weddings, full houses, and that is something that I love a lot about the Balkans, and I think it is a very positive thing for me personally. Central European and Scandinavian countries on the other hand are very opposite of that, for example, when I was in Lithuania, people were barely laughing, smiling, welcoming, coffee bars were almost empty and the whole culture of Lithuania is very different to us. The same goes with the other countries as I said, Germany for example, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and so on.

Spain and Italy on the what was it, third hand hahaha, are similar to our cultures, lots of smiles, lots of welcoming faces, the warmth between the people, parties, random greetings on the streets and so on.

Permanent residency for me also depends on what I’ll end up working and where. I love traveling and I would visit northern countries, and I love exploring other cultures, but I don’t really see myself living there.

Living in the Balkans is nice, and overall good, as long as you don’t get stuck in institutions and see how much the systems are actually not functioning, and how the societal system throws people who are ambitious and devoted, and eager to learn and create away. It’s like, the system doesn’t want you there, and it betrays you all the time, on a daily basis. This is what I hate the most about our countries.

So to sum up the question, I have no idea where I might end up living in the future, but I will never lose the part of who I am and where I come from. 


3) Do you have some advice for young people who are afraid of differences, other people of different religions, financial or family backgrounds, nations, sexuality, etc.? What would you suggest to them?

We’ve all been there, even me. I got the chance to explore the Balkan countries at an earlier age because, for 10 years, I was part of a traditional Macedonian dances association, and the first time I got out of Macedonia was a performance in Kosovo.

Sometime later, we went to Bosnia, Zenica, a place that I was amazed by, a true example of a mixed community living together. There was that worrying look in my parents’ eyes when I told them that I and my sister are staying in a Muslim family, and even today, what 7 years later, we still are friends and in contact with them. It was an amazing experience.

My advice would be, when you pack, you put only essential stuff in your suitcase, and trust me, your ego is not one of them. Leave it home, instead pack up some adrenaline and the wish to meet new people, see a new city, new culture. The feeling is amazing. I remember when I first set foot in Split. Got off the bus, suitcases all around me, I didn’t know in which part of the city I was, where was I supposed to go, and how exactly to manage it. It was such an amazing feeling. Starting fresh, no one knows you, you get to build a life from scratch, no shadows from your parents, no shadows from your village, city, community, nothing. Such a liberating and exciting moment.

If you’re afraid, you can start off by meeting people from your community that is of different religions, or ethnicities or don’t like the same stuff as you do and you will see that you have much more things in common than you imagine. Did I also mention that your fear is also not essential and there is no place in the suitcase for it? Leave it at home, grab the suitcase and go. Thank me later. 



Primjedbe