Elisabeth Kaul, Argentina: I visited 30 countries before I turned 20!

1. Hi Lisa, how are you? I would kindly ask you to introduce yourself to the Bellspiration readers?

Hi! I am very glad to take part in this interview and I would like to thank Belma for her interest, disposition, and time. For all the readers, my name is Elisabeth but you can call me Lisa. I was born in Dresden, East Germany and when I was young we moved to Patagonia, Argentina. Even though I lived for 6 years in Germany, I am Argentinian, following the nationality of my parents (the German government does not give you a German one if none of your parents is German). Once I turned 18 I decided to move abroad and after I received a scholarship to study the Hungarian language, Budapest became my next destination. Later I applied for another scholarship for a full-program degree at University, which made me stay longer in Hungary, my actual location (but soon to be changed).

2. I know that you traveled a lot! How it started - a traveler’s life? How many countries did you visit? Which one made the biggest impression on you? 

Well, with my family we used to travel often but within Argentina, and that made me realize I really enjoy exploring new places, being in constant movement. However, only when I reached 18 years old I started to do it alone and by my own means. I must admit I was very afraid of solo traveling, but with time I got used to it and discovered that when you are alone you tend to meet more people. So far I visited 30 countries before I turned 20. I wanted to reach more places and expand my horizons but this pandemic stopped my plans.

Since I am 15 years old I am working constantly, and I already had seven jobs which allowed me to save money, be independent and travel as much as possible, all when studying at the same time. Not an easy task, though, but highly recommended to anyone who wants to try an intensive lifestyle.

One of the countries which made the biggest impression on me was Poland, due to its modern infrastructure, polite and kind people and rich history. By traveling I could not only learn new characteristics about different countries and cultures but also deconstruct some stereotypes that they taught me when I was a child.

3. Why are you so passionate about travelings, what does that mean to you? How does that affect you as a person?

One reason why I love traveling is not only the places, landscapes, and monuments you get to see, but the people. They teach you different perspectives about life, their backgrounds, and behaviors, their traditions and language, etc. Every time I travel I try to broaden my mind by absorbing new knowledge, experiment with challenging situations, improvising when unexpected things come up, adapting myself to the environment, stop judging and learn how to listen.

All of these outcomes helped me a lot to develop personal skills and grow my inner self.

3*. Do you have some funny stories from traveling that you would like to share with us?

There are certainly several stories in my portfolio, and it is difficult to choose one. It may be funny (or tragedy) for some, for example, to know that a cruise almost hit me when I was kayaking in the Adriatic Sea, or that I almost became homeless when I arrived in Prague without knowing where I am going to sleep that very same night, or that I needed to run down a whole mountain escaping from weird wasps in North Macedonia.

3**. You visited Bosnia and Herzegovina. Can you tell us your impressions of Bosnia?

Bosnia was one of the countries that left a deep mark on me. First of all, I did not know about the most recent war before visiting the Balkans. This seemed to be a very dramatic chapter in Bosnians life, even nowadays. I could visit a bunker and go to museums, and also got the chance to talk with locals who explained to me better those conflictive years.

Another shocking feature was the number of mosques everywhere, and the high percentage of people who are Muslim. I did not expect that from a European country, but that was also another stereotype I could get rid of. 

4. If somebody wants to do the same as you did but needs some encouragement, what would you suggest to them? Do you have some tips for easier and safer trips?

Mostly, you have to follow your heart. Is that what you truly want? If yes, do not listen to the tons of bad comments which may demotivate you. When I moved to Hungary, my parents did not talk to me for one month, and all my family encouraged me to stay in Argentina, and only after I get a title at University I can move wherever I want. But if that was the case, I would be still living with my parents, and I would not get the experience, contacts, and knowledge I have today.

Even if no one in your surroundings did it, you can be the first, and maybe inspire others to do the same. But in order to achieve it, you have to work hard and row against the flow.

5. What motivates you in life? What inspires you the most? 

My motivation is knowing that we can make the world a better place to live in by first changing our inner selves. That leads me to learn every day how to become a better version of myself and help or guide others if they consider you as an example. A big inspiration is seeing cases of success, but this concept is very subjective for each person and maybe someone who is successful for me it is not for others. We follow what we consider aligned with our goals.   

6. Do you have an inspiring message for all young people all around the world?

It is never too late or too early to do something. If you feel THIS is the moment, do it. They scared me a lot about traveling alone as a woman, as a girl. But all I did is learn how to take care of myself and decide who to trust and who not to. It is better to learn from mistakes by doing than stagnate in a monotone life because of fear. What is the worst that can happen? It is better to realize something is not good for you than to regret your whole life to not have enough courage and not try it at least. It is better to be known for something you did or tried to do than to be a single drop more in the vast ocean without any purpose in life. I know many people who get scared of what others may think, others´ opinions. But let me tell you something: if they are talking about you, it is because you are doing something. 

7. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this Bellspiration interview! Good luck and see you soon :) 

Follow Lisa:

IG: https://www.instagram.com/elis.2404/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/karen.kl.906


























Primjedbe