LEAH MUSHEGAN, USA/BiH: My favorite Bosnian foods might be sirnica, and of course, ćevapi!

 


1. Hi Leah, how are you? I would kindly ask you to introduce yourself to the Bellspiration readers?

Hi!  My name is Leah and I’ve been living in BiH for 3 years.  I grew up in California until the age of 14 when my family moved to Oklahoma.  I also lived in Texas for a few years while I was working on my master’s degree.  I have a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and a master’s degree in Counseling.  I’ve spent most of my counseling career working with children and teenagers in schools.  I’ve never been married and don’t have children, but I have a mom and dad and two sisters, living in the States.

2. You are coming from the USA. Now you live in Bosnia and Herzegovina! Can you tell us how
do you like it here? What things you like the most? Do you have favorite Bosnian food? Was it hard to adapt to the Bosnian way of living?

I have truly loved my time in BiH!  Mostly, I love the people, the culture, and the beautiful country.  We don’t have many mountains in Oklahoma, so I have especially enjoyed that aspect of the country.  So far, my favorite Bosnian foods might be sirnica, and of course, ćevapi.  For me, the hardest part of living in BiH has been learning the language.  I moved here when I was 40 years old and sometimes think my brain is too old to learn a new language!  J  But…I’ve had some wonderful teachers and am so grateful for how patient and gracious Bosnians have been toward me with regard to language.  Još uvijek učim, ali volim ga.

3. Music! I know you are an artist, but share with us what music means to you? When you started playing guitar? How did you find out that you truly enjoy it?

Yes!  I’m a singer, songwriter, and musician (guitar and learning piano).  I’ve been singing since I was young but started to learn the guitar when I was in college.  Music is extremely important to me!  For me, it often gives a way to express and process thoughts and emotions that can’t be done with talking alone.  One of my favorite things is hearing a new song that just perfectly expresses how you’re feeling in that moment; like it was written just for you.  I’m a Christ-follower; my faith in Jesus and relationship with God is everything…and music is one of the greatest ways I connect with God.  Through singing and listening to worship songs, I can have a deep and intimate conversation with Him.

4. What motivates you in life? What inspires you the most?

What inspires and motivates me most is my faith; it plays a part in everything I do.  I’m also inspired by traveling!  I’ve been blessed to travel to several different countries and I’ve loved learning about each culture.  And especially meeting different people: I’m very inspired by people.  I love to hear people’s stories; what they’ve been through, how it’s affected them, what inspires them.  That’s probably why I love this blog so much!  J 

5. Do you have an inspiring message for all young people in our region, but also around the world?

One thing I wish I had learned a lot earlier in my life was how to truly take good care of myself: spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically.  When you ride on an airplane, they tell you that if the plane should start to crash and you need to use the oxygen mask, you have to put it on yourself before you can help others.  I think that’s a great picture of how it should be in life: in order to be strong and healthy enough to help and serve others, we have to make sure that we’re “putting the oxygen” on ourselves.  Not to the point of selfishness or self-absorption, but just making sure you’re “filled up” so you have enough to freely give to others.



Primjedbe